Pure alcohol is very high in calories. For instance Everclear has 226 calories per 1.5 oz and is 190 proof (95%) alcohol, the rest basically is water. Technically Everclear is the lowest calorie alcohol if you compare it to the alcohol percentage. Calories vary from drink to drink but they key to getting the most bang for your buck is picking drinks with the best Calorie from Alcohol ratio. Here are some examples.
Natural Ice has 5.9% alcohol and 130 calories per 12 ounce. Using the formula on our FAQ page we determine that 86% of Natty Ice’s calories are from the actual alcohol and the remaining 14% are from carbs and protein. This is a very good ratio, the best of any beer out there. Now on the other end of the spectrum is something like Sam Adams Chocolate Bock which has 5.5% alcohol and 230 calories per 12 ounce! In this case only 45% of the calories are from the alcohol and 55% are from sugars, carbs, and protein. Definitely not the best way to get a buzz if you are watching your waste!
If you are looking strictly for the most efficient way to get drunk you should stick with shots or hard alcohol mixed with a diet drink. Jack and Diet Coke for instance is only 195 calories per 12 ounce but 10% alcohol (3oz Jack to 9oz Diet Coke) and you get a whopping 98% of the calories from the pure alcohol.
Of the big three Light Beers (Bud Light, Coors Light, and Miller Lite) Miller Lite scores the best with 83.38% of calories from alcohol. I personally prefer Budweiser Select if forced to pick from tasteless light beers and it scores a very close 82.77%
Read our full list of beers, wines, mixed drinks and spirits on our homepage and let us know your favorite drinks with the best alcohol to calorie ratio!